Perforated hanger strap, also known as perforated channel or strut, is a versatile product used in a variety of applications requiring the hanging or securing of pipes, cables, conduit, and other items. Made of galvanized or stainless steel, perforated hanger strap features holes or slots along the length of the channel which allow for easy installation using pipe clamps, bolts, nails or other hardware. Let’s take a closer look at where perforated hanger strap is used and how it is installed.
Where are Perforated Hanger Straps Used?
Perforated hanger straps have many industrial, commercial, and residential applications including:
- Plumbing – To support copper tubing, galvanized steel pipes, PVC piping, and more in water supply and drainage systems. The perforated hanger strapping for copper tubing allows pipes to be secured while still enabling pipe expansion and contraction.
- HVAC – To hang ductwork, refrigerant lines, and condensate pipes. Straps withstand movement while providing long-term reliable support.
- Electrical – For mounting electrical conduit, busways, cable trays, junction boxes and more. The slots allow for repositioning.
- Solar – To mount solar panels, conduits, and pipes on rooftops and solar farms. Withstands outdoor exposure.
- Industrial – To hang process piping, hydraulic lines, compressed air lines, and more in factories and plants. Custom sizes and gauges available.
- Commercial Buildings – Within walls, ceilings, shafts, and underfloor to manage mechanical, plumbing, and electrical systems. Offers flexibility for remodels.
- Residential – For mounting pipes, cables, and ductwork in basements, attics, and crawl spaces. Easy DIY installation.
Perforated hanger strap provides a lightweight, low-cost, and versatile hanging solution for all types of trades and applications compared to alternatives like all-thread rods or strut channel.
Types of Perforated Hanger Straps
Perforated hanger straps are available in a range of types, sizes, and materials. Common varieties include:
- Galvanized Steel – Galvanized Perforated Hanger Strap resists corrosion and rust. Available in light, medium, and heavy gauges.
- Stainless Steel – Stainless Steel Perforated Hanger Strap provides the greatest corrosion resistance. 304 and 316 grades available.
- Cold Rolled Steel – Basic low-carbon steel perforated hanger strap without corrosion protection. Lowest cost option.
- Aluminum – Lightweight aluminum perforated straps for low-load applications. Resists rust.
- PVC – Plastic perforated hanger straps for corrosive environments. Non-conductive.
- Copper-Clad – Copper-Plated Carbon Steel Perforated Hanger Strap combines steel strength and copper’s conductivity.
- Multi-Hole – Featuring holes along the entire strap for greater adjustability.
Standard widths include 1/2″, 7/8″, 1-1/4″, and 2″, however custom widths can be sourced. Lengths range from 12″ to 20′. Gauges vary from light 22 GA to heavy 11 GA.
Perforated hanger strapping for copper tubing is commonly available in 3/4″ width, 20 GA galvanized steel. This provides sufficient support while avoiding damage to soft copper pipes.
Multi-Hole Perforated Hanger Straps
Multi-hole perforated hanger strap, also called unistrut features uniform holes along the entire length of the channel. This allows hangers or clamps to be positioned anywhere along the strap rather than at fixed intervals. Benefits of multi-hole strapping include:
- Continuous support – no weak spots between holes
- Greater adjustment flexibility for install alignment
- Ability to avoid obstructions and interferences
- Easier to make changes after initial installation
- Reduced need for field modifications like drilling extra holes
Unistrut is available in common materials like galvanized, stainless, or aluminum. Gauges range from 12 GA to 22 GA. Hole spacing options include 1/2″, 3/4″, or 1″ on center. Unistrut is commonly used for pipes up to 2″ diameter.
How to Install Perforated Hanger Strap
Installing perforated hanger strap involves securing the channel to the building structure, then using clamps, bolts, or fittings to hang the desired items from the strap. Here are some tips:
To Secure Perforated Strap:
- Position straps along required routing path and mark attachment points
- Pre-drill holes at marks to prevent strap buckling
- Use anchor bolts, concrete screw anchors, welded clip angles, or other approved fasteners
- For vertical runs, install support straps at minimum 10′ spacing
- For horizontal runs, space straps at 4′ to 6′ intervals based on load
- Use crimped strap ends or end caps at ends to prevent slips
To Hang Items from Perforated Strap:
- Use 1-hole or 2-hole pipe clamps for pipes up to 2″ diameter
- For larger pipes, use wider channel and 4-bolt pipe clamps
- Position clamps to provide proper pipe slope and alignment
- Use cushion clamps for soft or fragile items like plastic pipe
- Hang conduit using conduit clamps, conduit brackets, or 2-hole straps
- Use spring nuts in channel slots to hang items like junction boxes
- Cut straps with metal snips – file any sharp edges smooth
Other Perforated Strap Tips:
- When installing multiple straps, align holes for faster bolting
- Maintain 1″ clearance between strap and other items
- Use rollers, guides, and sleeves to allow longitudinal movement
- Choose material compatible with environment – stainless for coastal
- Ground and bond straps according to code for electrical systems
With the proper perforated hanger strap selected and sound installation practices, pipes, conduits, ducts, and other items can be securely and flexibly supported. Consult manufacturers’ instructions for additional specs and usage guidance. Careful installation will result in a long-lasting, problem-free system.
Perforated hanger strap provides an adaptable solution for hanging and supporting all types of equipment for industrial, commercial, and residential applications. Available in a range of materials like galvanized or stainless steel, perforated strap features holes or slots for simple installation using common hardware like pipe clamps and anchor bolts. Key applications include plumbing, HVAC, electrical, solar, and any setting requiring reliable support of pipes, conduits, cables, and more. Following proper practices for securely mounting the strap channels and hanging the supported items will result in a durable, long-lasting installation. Perforated hanger strap’s versatility, strength, and ease of use make it a go-to option for hanging and support across industries.
You may also find these topics interesting
Understanding the Basics: What is a Pipe Hanger Strap? A pipe hanger strap, also known as a pipe strap or pipe hanger, is an essential component used to support and secure pipes in various systems and installations. As the name suggests, it is a strap or band made to...
The world of construction and DIY projects is ever-evolving, and the need for reliable, durable fastening solutions is paramount. Enter the galvanized fixing band, a versatile and robust tool that's revolutionizing how professionals and hobbyists alike secure...
Introduction Perforated metal hanger straps are an essential component in numerous industries. Made from galvanized steel or stainless steel, these straps feature holes or slots along their length for easy fastening and adjustment. Their high tensile strength allows...
Hi, I’m Justin, the technical engineer of Jiangmen Masters. We’ve been running a factory in China that makes metal hanger strap for 16 years now, and the purpose of this article is to share the knowledge related to metal hanger strap from a Chinese supplier’s perspective.