Proper installation is critical for HVAC systems to operate efficiently and reliably over their lifetime. Securing ductwork, piping, and other components with sturdy, corrosion-resistant hangers is an essential part of the installation process. Galvanized hanger straps provide an ideal solution for supporting HVAC components and promoting optimal system performance.
Understanding Galvanized Hanger Straps
Galvanized hanger straps are strips of steel that have been coated in zinc to protect them from rust and corrosion. The galvanization process involves applying a thin layer of zinc to the steel surface. When exposed to the atmosphere, the zinc reacts with oxygen to form zinc oxide, which seals the steel from moisture and prevents corrosion.
The key benefits of using galvanized metal include:
- Corrosion Resistance – The zinc coating enables galvanized steel to withstand wet, humid, and acidic environments that would corrode and degrade regular steel. This makes it suitable for both indoor and outdoor HVAC applications.
- Durability – Galvanized coatings greatly extend the lifespan of steel hangers by slowing corrosion. Galvanized hangers can last over 50 years with proper installation.
- Strength – The base steel provides high strength to support HVAC components weighing hundreds of pounds. The zinc coating does not compromise the structural integrity of the steel.
These characteristics make galvanized steel hanger straps a staple component for reliable HVAC installations.
Types of HVAC Systems
HVAC systems come in many configurations to suit different buildings and applications. Common types include:
- Split Systems – Used for residential and light commercial cooling. Consist of an outdoor condenser unit and indoor evaporator coil.
- Packaged Units – All components enclosed in one cabinet. Used for light commercial spaces.
- VAV Systems – Supply air volume adjusted based on zone demand. Used in large commercial buildings.
- Chilled Water Systems – Use water to deliver cooling throughout a building. Found in large complexes.
- Radiant Heating/Cooling – Uses pipes in floors, walls, or ceilings to heat/cool. Seen in eco-friendly buildings.
Galvanized hanger straps can accommodate any of these setups. Adjustable designs allow mounting HVAC components of various sizes and weights at required positions. Durability also enables long-term use across different system types.
Key Considerations for HVAC Installation
Proper placement and load calculations are vital when installing HVAC hanging supports:
- Hangers should be positioned at calculated intervals to prevent sagging and misalignment. All joints and turns need added support.
- The combined weight of the ductwork, piping, insulation, and air/water must be calculated to select hangers of appropriate load capacity.
- Installation must comply with local mechanical codes and standards like SMACNA for ductwork support spacing and strength.
With robust load ratings and durability, galvanized hanger straps are up to meeting these requirements for secure HVAC suspension.
Galvanized Hanger Strap Features
Galvanized hanger straps are available in a range of specifications:
- Steel Gauge – Common thicknesses are 22 gauge to 12 gauge. Lower gauge numbers indicate thicker, heavier duty steel.
- Coating – Most have a G90 zinc coating equal to 0.9 oz/ft2 of steel surface area. Heavier G115 or G235 coatings are options for extreme conditions.
- Size – Lengths range from 18″ to 10′. Widths include 1/2″, 3/4″, 1″, 1-1/4″, etc. Wider straps support more weight.
- Design – Available in flat straps as well as perforated straps with holes for adjustability. Some feature a tab for pipe rolls.
- Load Rating – Light duty straps can handle up to 50 lbs while heavy duty models support over 500 lbs.
These specifications allow customized selection for each installation scenario.
Installing galvanized hanger straps involves:
- Determine mounting locations based on component size, weight and support needed. Mark the positions.
- Select the proper size and gauge hanger straps capable of handling the load. Include safety factor.
- Use self-tapping screws or hardware to attach the straps to the underlying structure. Ensure adequate penetration.
- Hang the HVAC component in the strap cradle. Position as needed and tighten screws to secure in place.
- Use vibration damping materials to prevent noise if required. Rubber isolators can allow movement.
- Maintain recommended spacing between hangers. Add supports at joints and fittings.
With the right layout and proper installation, galvanized hanger straps provide secure long-term support.
Advantages of Galvanized Hanger Straps
Galvanized hanger straps offer several compelling benefits:
- Longer Lifespan – The zinc coating protects against rust, extending the usable life to over 50 years. Less need for replacement versus uncoated steel.
- Cost-Effective – Though slightly more expensive upfront than uncoated steel hangers, galvanized straps save on maintenance costs in the long run.
- Eco-Friendly – Galvanized steel is more sustainable than plastic hangers. Coatings prevent leaching of toxins into the environment.
- Fire Protection – Galvanized coatings make steel hangers more fire resistant compared to plastic competitors. Safer for HVAC systems.
For maximum return on investment, galvanized hanger straps deliver durable HVAC support.
Precision Heating & Air in Houston installed galvanized hangers for the ductwork of a new 5-story office building. The hangers supported ducts up to 36″ in diameter while allowing adjustments during installation. Despite the corrosion-prone humid climate, the hangers prevent rust and continue providing sturdy support 5 years later.
Bellevue Hospital in New York City underwent major HVAC upgrades including replacing old sheet metal hangers with new galvanized hangers for the rooftop exhaust fans and ventilation ducts. The G-235 coated heavy duty hangers withstand the punishing NYC weather while supporting fans weighing up to 1500 lbs.
These real-world examples showcase the benefits of galvanized hanger straps in commercial settings – corrosion resistance, durability, adjustability, and high strength for heavy loads.
Common Challenges and Solutions
Galvanized hanger straps help mitigate common HVAC installation issues:
- Sagging Ducts – Overlong spans without supports lead to ducts drooping over time. Galvanized hangers positioned at calculated intervals reinforce against sagging.
- Noise/Vibration – Unwanted rumbling sounds transmit through poorly isolated metal hangers. Rubber lined galvanized hangers dampen vibrations.
- Corroded Supports – Regular steel hangers rust through quickly in humid and coastal regions. Galvanized coatings prevent this corrosion.
- Damaged Fasteners – Plastic anchors deteriorate over years while sharp edges of torn steel straps threaten cables/ducts. Galvanized steel and proper fasteners avoid these failure modes.
In addition to durability, galvanized offers solutions where other materials fall short.
Safety should be top priority during any HVAC work:
- Use hardhats, safety glasses, and gloves to avoid injury from falling objects or sharp edges.
- Follow safe lifting practices when handling long duct sections or heavy equipment.
- Take precautions when working at height – use harnesses and tie-offs when using lifts or ladders.
- Make sure hangers have adequate fire resistant coatings and ratings.
- Adhere to maximum load limits specified by the hanger manufacturer.
- Follow all site safety plans and regulations.
Galvanized hanger straps, when installed correctly, are safer than plastic alternatives – they do not release toxic fumes or easily break when overloaded.
Maintenance and Inspection
Routine inspection of hangers helps maximize HVAC system longevity:
- Visually check for signs of corrosion, loose fasteners, or cracked welds.
- Ensure ducts/pipes are held firmly without sagging. Tighten straps or add supports if needed.
- Confirm hangers are not bent or damaged from impact. Replace if necessary.
- Check for accumulated dust/debris which could lead to corrosion or abrasion.
- Lubricate threaded parts and tighten any loose bolts or screws.
- Inspect places prone to moisture buildup. Improve insulation or drainage if found.
Galvanized hanger straps make inspection easier and reduce the need for frequent maintenance compared to other hanging materials.
Comparing Hanger Strap Materials
Galvanized steel has distinct advantages over other hanger strap materials:
- Plastic– More prone to brittle fracture over time. Melts and releases toxic fumes when burned.
- Aluminum– Lower tensile strength than steel. Subject to galvanic corrosion when contacting dissimilar metals.
- Wood– Absorbs moisture and rots over time. Requires preservative treatments that pollute indoor air.
- Regular Steel– Corrodes quickly without protective zinc galvanization. Requires frequent replacement.
- Stainless Steel– Very expensive. Overkill for most residential and commercial HVAC systems.
Galvanized steel provides the optimum combination of strength, corrosion resistance, safety, and cost-effectiveness. It outperforms alternative hanging materials.
Future Trends in HVAC Installation
Advancements in technology will shape the future of HVAC hanging solutions:
- Integrated Monitoring– Hangers with built-in sensors to monitor stress and transmit data for preventative maintenance.
- Hybrid Materials– Composite hangers blending the benefits of steel, plastic, and other materials.
- Automated Fastening– Robotics to automate and improve consistency of hanger fastening during installation.
- Sustainable Manufacturing– Greener production methods for galvanized steel like using recycled content.
- Smart System Integration– Hangers designed for easy integration with connected IoT HVAC ecosystems.
While offering new capabilities, these innovations will likely still rely on durable galvanized steel at the core.
Let’s hear from HVAC professionals about galvanized hanger straps:
“We switched to galvanized hangers 5 years ago and instantly saw less failures and callbacks. They outlast the plastic hangers we used to use by a decade or more.” – Amanda, HVAC technician
“I can always trust galvanized hangers to hold up ducts perfectly even in old, humid buildings. The coated hangers prevent any rust or corrosion issues.” – Daniel, HVAC installer
“Anytime I take on a commercial or industrial project where the HVAC components are heavy duty, galvanized hangers are my go-to fasteners.” – Kevin, HVAC engineer
These first-hand experiences validate the benefits of galvanized hanger straps – long-lasting durability and reliable strength for heavy HVAC systems.
Let’s get insights from HVAC hanging specialists:
On hanger design: “We opt for perforated galvanized straps because the adjustability allows fine tuning of duct and pipe positioning during installation.” – Alana, Contractor
On safety: “I only use galvanized hangers near critical electrical wiring. The coated steel gives me peace of mind over plastic straps.” – James, Construction Manager
On maintenance: “With galvanized hangers, I spend less time re-tightening loose connections or replacing broken parts.” – Diego, Maintenance Technician
On installation: “I check that galvanized hangers are from certified manufacturers who adhere to quality control.” – Ava, Project Engineer
Industry experts recommend galvanized hanger straps for their strength, safety, durability, and ease of installation.
Summary of Benefits
To recap, galvanized hanger straps offer:
- Corrosion resistance for long life
- High strength to securely support HVAC components
- Fire safety and protection of duct/pipe investments
- Cost savings from less rework and replacements
- Simplified installation with adjustable designs
- Safer, eco-friendly alternative to other materials
- Reliable performance across various HVAC systems
For optimized efficiency and problem-free operation, specify galvanized hangers for HVAC installations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the lifespan of galvanized hanger straps?
With proper installation, galvanized hangers last over 50 years without significant corrosion thanks to their protective zinc coating. They outlast plastic, wood, or uncoated steel alternatives.
Can galvanized hanger straps be used in outdoor installations?
Yes, galvanized hangers are suitable for both indoor and outdoor applications. The zinc coating provides excellent corrosion resistance against outdoor elements like rain, snow, and humidity.
Are galvanized hanger straps suitable for large HVAC systems?
Absolutely. Heavy duty galvanized hangers with high weight ratings can securely support piping and equipment in large commercial or industrial HVAC systems.
How do I ensure proper weight distribution when using hanger straps?
Follow manufacturer spacing guidelines between hangers. Add supplemental hangers at duct/pipe joints, turns, and changes in direction. Verify load ratings meet calculated weight.
Are there any environmental benefits to using galvanized materials?
Yes. Galvanized steel hangers are recyclable and use less energy to produce than plastic. Zinc coatings also prevent toxic leaching of metals into soil and groundwater.
Efficient and problem-free HVAC operation starts with secure, long-lasting installation using components like galvanized hanger straps. Correctly integrating galvanized hangers results in robust duct and pipe support that stands the test of time. With upfront planning and material selection, facility managers can save costs over the lifetime of HVAC systems. When designed and installed properly using galvanized hangers, HVAC investments deliver lasting returns through optimized performance and reduced maintenance needs.
You may also find these topics interesting
Understanding the Basics: What is a Pipe Hanger Strap? A pipe hanger strap, also known as a pipe strap or pipe hanger, is an essential component used to support and secure pipes in various systems and installations. As the name suggests, it is a strap or band made to...
The world of construction and DIY projects is ever-evolving, and the need for reliable, durable fastening solutions is paramount. Enter the galvanized fixing band, a versatile and robust tool that's revolutionizing how professionals and hobbyists alike secure...
Introduction Perforated metal hanger straps are an essential component in numerous industries. Made from galvanized steel or stainless steel, these straps feature holes or slots along their length for easy fastening and adjustment. Their high tensile strength allows...
Hi, I’m Justin, the technical engineer of Jiangmen Masters. We’ve been running a factory in China that makes metal hanger strap for 16 years now, and the purpose of this article is to share the knowledge related to metal hanger strap from a Chinese supplier’s perspective.